Saturday, March 8, 2008

Bear's sister encourages dancers to continue

At Club DM, Courtney Krupa urged the dancers to continue on with their efforts, telling them about how her brother battled cancer.

"I was there when my mom told me that Bear had cancer, but his courage helped me through the years. His smiles soaked up my tears. He humor soaked the nurses. Seriously, Bear soaked the nurses with a super soaker. Sometimes I was jealous of the attention and gifts he received and guilty for feeling that way. But one day Bear said to my mom, 'Can we get something for my Courtney?'  


Dancers from the Louis Room watch and listen to Courtney Krupa on a screen, broadcasted from Club DM, talk about her relationship with her brother.

"Throughout the years that Bear battled cancer, my mom stayed by his side. I would come around to the hospital as often as I could, but my family continued to be apart. Loneliness became a part of my life. I spent nights at neighbors' and grandparents' house. I came home to an empty home. My friends certainly couldn't understand at such a young age, so I learned how to take care of myself. Then Bear would come home, and I'd learn how to take care of him too. 

"I became responsible and mature beyond my years. There were times Bear was so sick that he couldn't move from one side to another or even talk, but he kept fighting. He's one of the strongest people I have ever known, and his strength has pushed me to keep on living life to the fullest. 

"When Bear made it known he wanted to do something to help others, my mom made it happen, and I couldn't have been more proud. Something I cherish everyday is that I was given the chance to have a sibling. I often tell people how lucky they are to have healthy brothers and sisters. I didn't only lose my brother, but one of my best friends. I urge you to keep fighting until the end because I'm sure Bear is smiling. 

"Thank you for making his dream a reality this weekend."


Alice Truong/The Daily Northwestern
Photo/Paul Takahashi/The Daily Northwestern

No comments: