Saturday, March 8, 2008

120 Club


There is no correct time to join Dance Marathon. People join as freshmen, sophomores, juniors and even as seniors. But there is great respect for those members of the exclusive 120 Club--that is, seniors who have danced all four years for DM since they were freshmen. The Daily talked with one of these devoted dancers, Medill senior Danny Ecker, about his time dancing, crying and loving every moment of it.

The Daily: So how are you feeling right now?

Danny Ecker: Incredible, there are no words to describe how I feel right now. It's gotten better ever year for the past four years, and it's definitely the most fulfilling thing I've ever done.

TD: How did you get involved with DM to begin with?

DE: I danced for ZBT my freshman year. There was not much interest among the guys in the frat, but I was dying to get in and so I gave it a whirl. And at the end of the first DM, I was in tears.

TD: How do you feel about DM this year?

DE: This year is a mix, since there are two different places. Usually there are around 500 dancers, but for whatever reason this year DM recruited 750 this year, and so we have to spend three blocks out in the tent. But overall, this year is so much better. We're going to break a record, raising I think around $900,000. To be able to say you're a part of it is just amazing.

TD: Are you sad that this is your last year?

DE: It's bittersweet, I've been loving this, and since I am a senior I know so many people and can show them all about how DM works. It's a ton of fun, and when it DM comes around next year I'm definitely going to miss it.

Tiffany Wong/Daily Northwestern

No comments: